Hurricane Harvey - National Flood Insurance Program | Top Cash Offer® Houston

Hurricane Harvey – National Flood Insurance Program

How to Get Out of Foreclosure
Why working with home buyers makes financial sense
November 17, 2016
Upgrades To Avoid If You Intend To Sell
February 10, 2018
Hurricane Harvey Disaster Recovery Guide
Steps to File a Claim

Hurricane Harvey - National Flood Insurance Program

Step One: Notify Your Insurer

After any significant water damage or flooding to your home, your first step is to contact your local insurance agent or the insurance company to file a property damage claim. You’ll want a bit of information readily available:

  • Your insurance company’s name
  • Your policy number
  • A telephone and/or email address where you can reach your insurance company

After you file a claim, an insurance adjuster will contact you within a matter of days. If you do not hear from anyone, it’s time to call again.

Step Two: File Your Claim

You’ll need to separate your damaged property and possessions from those that are undamaged. Your adjuster will require thorough evidence of the water damage to your property and possessions to prepare an estimate.

  • Take photographs or video of all damaged property, including structural damage, floodwater levels, standing water, and lost items.
  • Make a list of any goods that were damaged or lost in the flood, including their date of purchase, value, and receipts, if you have such information readily available.
  • The local government may require the disposal of flood-damaged items, so place such goods outside of the home.

Step Three: Complete a Proof of Loss to Support Your Insurance Claim

Your insurance adjuster, once the claim is filed, will prepare a Proof of Loss (a sworn statement of the amount you are claiming, including supporting documentation) for the official claim of damages. A Proof of Loss must contain specific details from the Standard Flood Insurance Policy. You must file your Proof of Loss with the insurance company within 60 days of the flood damage.

You’ll receive a claim payment once both you and the insurer agree on the total amount of damages and once the Proof of Loss is both complete and accurate.

Unsatisfied with Your Claim Payment?

If you happen to receive a denial letter or are unsatisfied with the amount offered for repairs and replacements, you have other options. You can work with FEMA for other flood solutions, but only if you have a denial letter.

Need Additional Assistance?

Another option is to sell the property. If you feel the repairs or renovations would be too costly or not worth your time, then selling to a real estate investment company could be worthwhile. It is certainly an option on the table.